Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Greek and Kickboxing

So Greek has been going well. It's a lot of stuff to remember, but it's fine, really. "It's good": "Esti agathos kai eimi kalos." (". . .And I am beautiful." I'm practicing my adjectives and my conjugation of the verb "to be," if you'll forgive me). :D

Last night I took advantage of my NEW YWCA membership (Gettysburg students pay $10 a year for it!) to attend a cardio-kick class, which translates to kickboxing moves in a cardio workout setting. I gotta tell ya, it kicked my ass. Probably in a good way, considering that that ass needs to get in shape. :) It's up in the air whether or not I'll try that one again, but definitely looking forward to using the Y for swimming, even weight training maybe. When I get through a couple of months of that, I'll be able to bench-press Sam at Christmas.

Speaking of which, I talked to Sam and Lauren yesterday—the latter on the phone! She's in Glasgow, and anxious to get back to ministerial work. No message yet back from Mary upon her arrival home in Sweden, and Sam's engaging in metrosexual cooking for his mum on his family pig farm. Moses is probably downing shots of screech and kissing puffin's arses in Newfoundland.

Ah, eclectic friends. What would I do without them? :)

A lot of my friends seem to be delayed in getting their first call in a congregation, like Ryan, who's a Wartburg grad, and Mark, who's a Gettysburg grad. I can only imagine how frustrating that would be! But at least they know that they're in good hands in terms of eventually finding a position in a congregation, especially because of the pastoral shortage in the ELCA that we hear so much about.

I'm doing alright with meeting new peeps here too. David across the hall is good to hang and watch movies with, and I'm learning tons about marching bands and USC from Katie, who's upstairs.

Well, nearly time for chapel. It's interesting, only going to worship once a day instead of twice. Ooh, and tonight on Iona is the "service of commitment" with a "symbolic action." I'll just imagine myself lighting a candle or some such thing and pretend I'm there.

In the meanwhile, I'm actually geographically here, and actually doing fine. A miracle in itself, I think.

No comments: