Sunday, July 09, 2006

Bouncers in Wellies

Friday 19 May

Last evening was yet another blessing in disguise. I was feeling a little down, and an unexpected boon arrived in the form of a disco (read: dance) held for the teens staying at the Mac. I heard about it and came--and got invited to be a bouncer at the door with Lauren and Simon, who were dressed in shades and bright yellow fishermen's gear, calling teachers "hot chicks," and making the kids prove themselves to get inside the activity room where the disco was being held. I myself was a little hesitant at first (twentysomething vollies dancing with high schoolers?), but (Swedish) Amanda's adorable enthusiasm and the infectious music got me shakin' my thing with the best of 'em. Best part: dancing in a group with other staff, complete with Lauren and Simon still dancing about in their head-to-toe yellow waterproofs and wellies. Simon called himself Amanda's and my pimp as he rocked out- ha! I had a bloody fantastic time.

Thank you, God. I came, I danced, and I saw things a little more clearly about myself. I may be about ten years late on this, but I appreciate it all the same.

No comments: