Saturday, July 08, 2006

First Difficult Goodbye

Wednesday 10 May

My day off, and I'm on a boat trip to Staffa, a tiny island in the Hebrides family-- it's most famous for Fingal's Cave, which is named after an Irish giant (Fionn MacCaul) and inspired Felix Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture (well, the sound of the sea from the cave inspired him, really). Staffa was volcanically formed 59 million years ago, and Iona was formed in the same way 2.9 billion years ago!

A sad thing today: saying goodbye to Kate and Amanda, two really great vollies. Kate worked with me in Abbey housekeeping (she'll always be in my mind as the YAAAAAAAAAY!!! queen), and Amanda was one of my roomies and in the Abbey kitchen. She's a native of Nova Scotia, and contemplating becoming a minister in the Presbyterian church; she's quite friendly, caring, genuine, helpful, and I'll really miss her. I hope to send cards out to them both, and definitely keep in touch as best I can.

A really excellent conversation with Matty last night as we walked south from the pub and sat on a bench along the beach. I told him he's smarter than he gives himself credit for, and he said he sometimes plays dumb in order to present his more "fun" side and get people to like him. He wants to start his own business-- a cafe'-- and he's got lots of savings. He's well on his way to his dream, but truth be told, if he were oodles in debt and had no idea what he wanted to do, I'd still love him. Matty's got a great heart.

Is it strange to know you love someone in friendship after two weeks?

No comments: