Thursday, July 27, 2006

Edinburgh, and a Warm Welcome Back

My time at Edinburgh we really great. I saw the Castle, Holyroodhouse, St. Giles Cathedral, Canongate Church, and the Museum of Edinburgh. What a great city! Relatively quiet, cultured, and unpretentious. Full of writers like Robert Burns, Robert Fergusson, Robert Louis Stevenson (see the pattern?), Sir Walter Scott. . . I saw Fergusson's grave as well as Adam Smith's . . .I saw the outside of the new Scottish Parliament (very 21st-century-looking, with good quotes from Scottish writers carved outside), and Deacon Brodie's close (that dude was the real-life inspiration for Stevenson's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde).

Hannah's flatmates (Gemma, Kerrie, and Jenny) were very warm and helpful, and I had good chats with Jenny especially. I really got a lot of good rest and relaxation in, and felt I got a nice sense of the city after wandering about it for a few days.

I also received a touching welcome back to Iona-- people gave me loads of hugs, said they'd missed me and it seemed like ages since I'd been here.

We were all at the pub last night, and Sam witnessed what he called a "Super Melvin" (I really put my foot in it) in from of Helen Woodcock, a Community member's daughter. After some time laughing there, Sam and Marie and I went on a mission to cut flowers from across peoples' hedges to give to Kate for her birthday. Then, when I arrived back to my room, I kicked over a container of liquid by my bed, which surprised and puzzled me. When I turned on the light, I realised what it was--Marie and Sam had gotten me flowers as well! They were wanting to say thank you for the CDs I brought back for them. . . the note on the flowers read, "To a really great friend--see you at the pub!-- Sam-- Jelly Tot." (They'd gotten and placed them there while I was at after-service teas, and before the pub). I felt so excited and happy and loved all at once. It was a beautiful, beautiful moment that I will treasure in my heart for probably the rest of my life.

No comments: