Saturday, July 08, 2006

Can Old Seals Learn New Tricks?

Sunday 14 May

It's my parents' twenty-eighth wedding anniversary, and Joel and Julianne are also getting married today (which I'd forgotten), and in other important news, Aniko will be leaving tomorrow. . .she's another person that I'd like to try and keep in touch with after we're parted from this place.

Today I taught some puffins their tasks, and at dinner tonight I will teach some seals to balance balls on their noses, perhaps. Of course, I'm not referring to the real animals. . .these are two names of task teams into which we divide the guests for the week (the other is the otters). My first time teaching, and it went well. . .nothing got really botched up. I'm amazed and grateful.

Monday 15 May

Highlights today:
-enjoyable ceilidh
-loved learning about the South African community of Gugulatu
-got to know a nun from Wales
-got to brag about EMHS Touring Choir
-waved goodbye to Aniko at the jetty
-difficult "learning experiences" with setting up dinner
-walked to the shop with Matty and Hazel for a Mars Bar (what we'd call a Milky Way), after earlier indulging in leftover sticky toffee pudding (sweets overload)
-talked more with Naison from Zimbabwe

It's never boring, Iona.

No comments: