Sunday, July 09, 2006

The Shrinking Violet Dances

Tuesday 16 May

So I'm getting more in touch with the island animals, including Lily the cat, Clyde the horse, and Petey and Gertrude the compost slugs. Okay, maybe I'm a bit nuts, but hey, talking with animals helps you maintain your sanity, I'm sure.

Evidently the Mac housekeepers and cooks have had a really sucky day so far with leaky milk-bags, food-fighting kids in the kitchen, a lack of chores getting done, and Rhiannon being yelled at by one of the teachers--I'm glad I wasn't there for all that.

This morning I had my first reflection with Zoe, and my first "chatting" time with Simon this afternoon. He seemed to want me to remember to truly be present in this time on Iona and to think about what it truly means to be oneself. He said I seemed, if not confident, then not fragile . . . I told him all but my darkest secret, and he could identify with what I told him . . . he talked about intuitive, compassionate people who can be so in tune with other people's emotions that they have real problems with worrying too much about what others think of them. He thanked me for being so open. I reminded him that I'd had lots of practise.

Zoe praised my skills with teaching the guests their chores and dinner tasks. Quite surprising--I have done something (other than being a shrinking violet) well!

Wednesday 17 May

I've had the breakfast shift this morning, and it went quite alright. It's the three-week marker for me, and the other vollies were right when they warned us from the beginning that time goes quite quickly here. I feel great, though. I wish I made friends more quickly with others here, but the important thing is to be open and, as Nick (an Iona Community member) would say, "Don't roll the window up." Someone might just defy your dreadful expectations and want to dance with you in a vibrant, free celebration of life.

No comments: